Saturday, August 15, 2009

Remembering J-Dilla...The G.O.A.T.


One day I was going thru some boxes I have in storage and came across a flyer from the year 2000. The flyer was for a Slum Village show that was at one of the venues in downtown Houston. After staring at it for a moment, I suddenly said out loud..."Oh my God, I forgot I met Dilla". Yes indeed I did after their show, which didn't have many in attendance....sadly. As big of a fan I am of him and SV, one would wonder, "how could you forget a moment like that"?! Well, it was temporarily misplaced in my head, but there are certain things you can come across later that will trigger your memory.

Sometimes I feel like I can safely say that i'm the biggest Dilla head in Houston. After doing so many tributes to him, and for all the years of spinning tunes that he put his soul into, it's funny how people ask who he is not knowing they have boogied to much of his music in Hip-Hop, Soul, & R&B. Besides his passing away, the shocker for me was to get the news of him making his transition at the same time I spent listening to the "Oblighetto (Remix)" for more than an hour straight over and over before the news was made public. Before that, I was going back and forth with Steve Spacek's "Dollar" and the sample used in the track from Billy Paul's "Let The Dollar Circulate", mesmerized at how he broke the song down and created a clean break. Also amazed at how he made a seamless loop with Mr. Paul's voice that seemed to last for minutes. That is music I can get a natural high to.

If Amp Fiddler or Pete Rock happen to stumble across this post, I personally would like to thank them for being inspiration to Mr. James "J-Dilla/Jay Dee" Yancey. R.I.P. Dilla, I miss ya bro.



J-Dilla Tribute Mix by DJ Kool Emdee

No comments:

Post a Comment