Tuesday, January 17, 2012

R.I.P. Jimmy Castor

Jimmy Castor
(June 23, 1947 – January 16, 2012)


On my last post I mentioned about a breakbeat being used for many genres. Now, I have some sad news about an incredible artist by the name of Jimmy Castor (The Everything Man) who passed away yesterday. A crew of musicians called The Jimmy Castor Bunch, he released a string of hits that helped provide sounds used in many Hip-Hop records, mainly his title track, "It's Just Begun" tune recorded in 1972 that is one of the biggest B-boy anthems. That album also included the heavy sampled "Troglodyte (Cave Man)" known for the opening line; "What we're gonna do right here is go back...". Also releasing "Bertha Butt Boogie", "E-Man Boogie" and other hits.

Before delving into the world of Funk music, Castor started as a doo-wop singer, wrote and recorded "I Promise to Remember" b/w "I Know The Meaning Of Love" for the Wing imprint with Jimmy Castor and the Juniors in 1956. Castor would later replace Frankie Lymon of The Teenagers in 1957. For now, the cause of his passing is unknown. Will update with details as they become available.



No comments:

Post a Comment