Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday Flashback: 808 State



After more than 20 years of searching for the artist and title of this song, I finally found out by getting an old school compilation titled Pump Up The Volume. I first heard "Pacific State" in Chicago in the early 1990's, but didn't catch the title at the time. A friend of mine had it on cassette, but didn't know the artist and title either. I liked the song so much that I borrowed his cassette to dub the song and ended up making a non-stop mix of that single song for the whole 90 minute cassette tape I made for myself to relax to before going to bed. The cassette was lost somewhere along the way and I asked many other DJ's and House heads about this tune, trying to describe it and often times humming the melody. To no avail, none of them knew what I was talking about.

808 State (Graham Massey, Martin Price and Gerald Simpson) would help to usher in the "chill-out" genre of electronica by releasing their Quadrastate 12 inch single in 1988, where this song made its first appearance. Remixes of "Pacific State" go by variant titles such as "Pacific - 707", "Pacific - 202" and simply as "Pacific". Being classified as an "anthem", along with its unique style, "Pacific State" peaked at #10 on the UK Single Chart in 1989.

No comments:

Post a Comment